Maui Restaurants Locals Like
Get nice seafood at a reasonable price. There are a number of delightful but expensive restaurants, but you don’t have to pay high prices for good seafood. Here are the places we’ve been and return to for mahi mahi and other seafood at a reasonable price.
Maui Restaurants Locals Like
Two are at golf courses–get nice seafood at a reasonable price!!!
- Café O’Lei at Dunes at Maui Lani Golf Course 1333 Mauilani Pkwy at Hwy 380, Kahului (808) 873-0422 (also in Kihei)– order their seafood.
- Kono’s on Lipoa Parkway in Kihei off of the Hwy 31 bypass road. It’s located at the Elleair Golf Club, 1345 Piilani Hwy, Kihei (808) 874-0777.
- Coconuts Seafood in Kihei at the Azeka shopping center– casual atmosphere (order a fish or other meal and they will deliver to your table) but excellent mahi mahi steaks– we like the mahi mahi on salad, but the fish tacos are great, too. (808) 875-9979.
- Maui Brewing Company Tasting Room on Lipoa Parkway in Kihei off of the Hwy 31 bypass road. There is sometimes a food truck at the property, or for food afterward (or beforehand) we have heard that the restaurant across the street, Cow-Pig-Bun, is great, but perhaps a bit expensive. (808) 213-3002.
- Monkeypod between Kihei & Wailea, where Hwy 31 turns to the Gateway Plaza– after the highway ends and you turn right onto the boulevard into Wailea, take the next driveway on the right side. Happy hour starts at 3 PM. Children are welcome. Good beers on tap and the fish is great. We like the fish tacos and the hamburgers from local sources. (808) 891-2322.
- Kula Bistro in Kula Town requires a drive to the Upcountry, but we think it is well worth it. Their seafood is great, including the Manchong and Ahi. Their bakery items are wonderful, including cream pies and other pastries. Unless you want to take windy roads (like Pulehu Rd and Omaoplo Rd), instead take the Hana Hwy (36) to the Haleakala Hwy (37) and go past the turnoffs for Makawao and Haleakala National Park. You stay on Hwy 37, which is now called Kula Highway. As you get near Kula you will see multiple places where Lower Kula Road crosses the Highway. On your left you will eventually see the True Value Hardware store, then see a sign on the right indicating the turnoff to the left for Holy Ghost Church– take that road to the left, go up the hill past the church and the restaurant will be on the right. (If you miss the turn for Holy Ghost Church, take the next street to the left, which is Copp Road.) Enjoy your delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner. (808) 871-2960.
- Paia Fish Market Restaurant in Paia at the corner of Baldwin Avenue and Hana Hwy (casual atmosphere– order a fish or other meal and take to your table when your number is called). (808) 579-8030.
- Merriman’s in Kapalua is excellent but not inexpensive (not shown on map). (808) 69-6400.
- Try Ululani ‘s Shaved Ice for a cool treat near the airport on Dairy Road directly across the street from McDonald’s, or in Kihei at 61 South Kihei Road at the corner of Uwapo and Kihei Road.